Monday 19 January 2009

reminiscence and new ideas!


Looking back over my days at primary school, high school, sixth form and eventually university, i have been involved in many events. events for fun, events for charity and events for the school itself. I was looking back at pictures and thinking of the events i took part in that i found most enjoyable. Obviously doing the shows was enjoyable as i would't be doing the degree im doing now, but there was one event that stuck out in my mind, even more so when i saw a picture of myself, dressed completely head to toe in tin foil. This sounds strange but let me explain!

I myself dressed in tin foil, my friend stood next to me wearing a dress made of crisp packets, and my teacher on the other side wearing a hat made of paper plates and bottle tops. This was no ordinary schoolday, this was our charity based recyclable fashion show. An event that raised money to watch us walk down the catwalk in "clothes" that we had completely fashioned ourselves out of objects that we no longer needed. Not only was the cat walk fun, the making of the clothes was even better. we all came together with ideas, and created a number of outfits from the most bizzare items, ranging from, cds to bubblewrap.



Since the very beginning of this project, i have know that i wanted to work with children as i find their imaginations and creativity inspiring. They are the perfect community to participate in such an event! Not only will such a project encourage children to come together as a community and be creative, it will encourage other communities to come and watch what the children have created.

I have been leasing with a school in which i have suggested a temporary afterschool club in which we make and design the outfits, eventually resulting in a charity fundraising night with our recyclable fashion show a part of it.

A crazy idea, however one that encourages the protection of the environment with recycling, and of course the bringing together of different communities.

No comments: